Source: Woman’s Day – By Frank P
Who could resist a cute cupcake with a skeletal frame comprised of a marshmallow skull and yogurt mini pretzel ribs supported by a lollipop stick? Whip up a batch of these bony characters with your favorite cake mix and canned frosting.
Photo – Kate Sears
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Prep Time: 45 min
- 1 box(es) (18.25 oz) white cake mix
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup(s) milk
- cup(s) canola oil
- 2 can(s) (16 oz each) vanilla frosting
- 18 marshmallows
- 4-in. lollipop sticks
- Black food color
- Decorating pen
- Black writing gel
- 72 yogurt-covered mini-pretzels
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 18 regular size muffin cups with white liners.
- Beat cake mix, egg whites, milk and oil in large bowl with mixer on low speed 1 minute until blended; increase speed to medium and continue to beat 2 minutes or until batter is smooth. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2⁄3 full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes before removing cupcakes to rack to cool completely. Frost cupcakes with vanilla frosting.
- To decorate: Slightly flatten marshmallows with palm of your hand. Insert a lollipop stick into each marshmallow. With the black decorating pen, using photo as a guide, draw the skeleton mouth along the bottom of each marshmallow. Draw 2 nostrils above the middle of the mouth, as shown. Make the eyes with dabs of the black writing gel.
- For each skeleton, carefully thread the stick end of the marshmallow head through the small hole of a pretzel, slowly twisting the pretzel from side to side as you push it up toward the head, stopping about 1⁄2 in. below the head. Secure the pretzel in position with a dab of frosting. Add 2 more pretzels, lining them up, to resemble the rib cage, securing with dabs of frosting. Stick the skeleton into the top of a cupcake. To make the arms, carefully cut a pretzel in half with a serrated knife and attach to