This recipe came from a cooking class I attended at a local department store. I first served it to my husband on Valentine’s Day, but now I make it for Christmas as well. —Michele Fehring, Fishers, Indiana
Prep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Champagne
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks and sugar with a portable mixer until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in Champagne.
- Place the saucepan over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 5-6 minutes.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon three-quarters of the Champagne cream into stemmed glasses.
- Top with berries. Spoon remaining Champagne cream over berries.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 267 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 300 mg cholesterol, 19 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.